Here are five shortcuts you can learn to improve your efficiency when working with audio in After Effects.
#01 Preview audio from current time
- Shortcut: . (dot) on numeric keypad or Control + . (dot) on main keyboard
#02 Preview audio from the beginning
- Mac Shortcut: Option + . (dot) on numeric keypad or Control + Option + . (dot) on main keyboard
- Windows Shortcut: Alt + . (dot) on numeric keypad
#03 Creating markers as audio plays
This is nifty shortcut to learn when marking out the rhythm, lyrics, or narration into audio track before beginning to animate
- Shortcut: * (asterisk) on numeric keypad
#04 Extending markers
Instead of using two markers to denote the start and end of a segment in your audio track, you can actually set duration for a marker that you created!
- To set a marker’s duration by dragging, hold the Option (macOS) or Alt (Windows) key, then click the marker icon and drag to the right.
- To change the duration of a marker, click and drag the marker out point icon; you do not need to hold Option/Alt.
#05 Audio shortcuts
- To show audio levels: press L
- To show audio waveform, press LL (quicktap)